Rich, nutty and ever-so-slightly boozy, brown bread ice cream isn’t as weird as it sounds; and infinitely more delicious. I was introduced to this ice cream by a friend and it’s gone straight up there with mint choc chip as a firm favourite. I’d always thought that making my own ice cream was beyond my limited culinary capabilities, but is a refreshingly straightforward process. You won’t need a fancy ice cream machine either; all you’ll need is a whisk (preferably electric, there’s a fair amount of whisking involved) and a freezer! This simple recipe from Paul Hollywood (of Great British Bake Off fame) was an absolute winner in my house.
75g brown breadcrumbs (ideally from a wholemeal bloomer)
60g brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp whiskey
270ml double cream
75g icing sugar
1. Mix the breadcrumbs and brown sugar together, then spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly out on a baking tray.
2. Preheat the grill and grill the breadcrumb mixture for 8 minutes or until dark and caramelised. Set aside to cool.
3. Once cool, break the caramelised breadcrumbs into small bite-sized pieces.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the whiskey. Fold the egg yolk mixture into the
whisked egg whites.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk the cream and icing sugar together until fluffy.
7. Using a metal spoon, fold the whisked cream and the caramelise breadcrumbs into the egg
mixture, carefully to not knock the air out of the whisked eggs.
8. Transfer the mixture into your freezer-proof container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
And Voila! A delectable homemade ice cream to impress your friends and family with! It is
perfect on its own or as an accompaniment to another dessert. I for one served mine with a
gorgeous slice of pecan pie, but it would be great with other earthy puds like apple pie or a fruit crumble. Nutty desserts would be perfect too, so, pecan brownie and brown bread ice cream?
Heck yes! However which way you try it: enjoy!
If you mix up this delicious recipe send us your pictures so we can show them all off!
Jasmine – Tweet Me!